The idea of green engineering is to create a healthy living environment through the utilization of natural resources wisely and conservatively. It aims to lessen the amount of pollution that is being generated in a construction site. It is the green engineer’s responsibility to design buildings and landscapes that are focused on the conservation of renewable energy technologies.
All engineers must be knowledgeable about what green engineering is all about. It is the newest way to become efficient and economic while still promoting sustainability. Here are the strategies of green engineering that can reduce human health risks and damage to the environment:
- Making sure that all the finished output will not cost significant environmental impacts
- Reducing your business’ dependence on energy
- Establishing techniques which will assure safe industrial production
- Coming up with innovations which will reduce your facility’s pollutants
- Minimizing waste and lessening the consumption of natural resources for production
- Decreasing the negative impact of your company’s operations on the environment
Principles Of Green Engineering
There are a lot of ways on how green engineering is practiced in the field. Construction companies that would plan to shift on green engineering should have a plan on how they can implement it. It may be easy to apply but some find it challenging to shift since they are not used to it. These are the framework for how they can implement systems and processes.
- Engineers need to ensure that all of the materials that are involved in their production, may it be physical or energy resources must not be hazardous. In this way, the health of those who will be exposed to it will not be sacrificed.
- It is important that all people involved in the business are aware of green engineering. Involve the communities involved as well as the stakeholders because it will make the development of different engineering solutions easier.
- Master your operations thoroughly and find ways on how you can reduce waste. You may need to replace some equipment that does not promote energy efficiency. In the construction industry, the materials used must be in line with LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) which is an internationally recognized green building certification system.
- Promote the productivity of your company by being resourceful in sourcing out where you will get your resources. As much as possible, avoid using natural resources. The productivity of your company is tested as it finds ways on how it can produce raw materials that are based on green technology. It is more efficient to fabricate materials in a controlled environment.
- Always implement recycling and reusing techniques. This will help reduce waste and lessen expenses. It will also lessen the production costs needed to produce the materials that you use in the production. In green engineering, raw materials used in construction are made from recycled materials to help in waste management.
- Proper selection of construction materials. Nowadays, there are a lot of construction materials that are manufactured from recycled materials. It is also advisable to look for renewable products such as bamboo as a replacement for the wood trees since it grows faster.
Examples Of Green Engineering Innovations
- Zero-energy buildings
This aims to operate through the use of renewable energy sources. It may be pricey but its beneficial effects will be experienced in the long run. The use of solar, wind, or hydro is commonly used to achieve zero-energy consumption. Before it is being constructed, engineers make use of a technology that can compute the exact amount of energy needed to achieve the net-zero building.
- Use of waste to create concrete alternatives
There are strategies used to create construction materials that are based on green technology. The transformation of waste aims to reduce sand use, decrease carbon emissions, and to improve waste management. When these are implemented, eco-concrete and eco-bricks are created. There were experimentation conducted that concrete and bricks manufactured from waste tend to have a lower carbon footprint and that it is non-toxic compared to commercially available products.
Benefits of Green Technology In The Construction Industry
The promotion of green technology in the construction industry has become more popular especially nowadays that people are becoming environmentally conscious. The main idea is to create buildings that will help improve the condition of the environment. It is said that the construction industry is one of the sectors that contribute to more gas emissions.
Through the use of green technology, it further reduces or eliminates the negative environmental impact of its processes. Aside from the positive effects of green engineering on the environment, it also has a positive impact on human health. Green buildings are made from safe materials so when a person lives on it there will be no toxic materials that will be inhaled.
Practicing green engineering ensures the use of resources especially energy and water resources. It might be expensive constructing a green building compared to non-green construction but in the long run, there will be a return of investment for sure.
Green engineering is the new trend for the construction industry. This is good news for environmentalist that would want to make a change positively. Practicing it delivers economic, environmental, and social benefits. If all industries practice green technology, it would be easier for humans to meet their needs without depleting natural resources. It is good to shift into green engineering for a sustainable development.