Does the state of the environment and the concerns about global warming have you worried? Who hasn’t heard or read something about how the Earth is in trouble? Do you think that just one person like you could make a difference? Well you can do things that help more than you think and it may be easier than you think too by making the effort to Go Green.
Yes, it can be overwhelming when you think about things like buying solar panels for your home or going out and buying a new hybrid vehicle. And who wants to only eat organic food? Everyone needs a chocolate bar or pizza from time to time! We are going to offer you some tips on how you can make a few minor changes that will make some major changes for our environment. They are small steps, but they are powerful steps in the efforts to Go Green:
- Bump up that thermostat just a notch in the summer and down in the winter. Just one degree in every house can make a difference collectively.
- If you’re not watching it – turn off your TV. Even on stand-by, you’re using energy.
- Unplug phone chargers and other cords to things you’re not using like the can opener, microwave or toaster.
- When you leave a room – turn off the lights.
- Instead of taking baths, take showers save water as well as the energy it takes to heat the water.
- Replace your current traditional light bulb with CFL lightbulbs which use one-third of the power.
- Do laundry in cold water. They will come out just as clean and there are detergents on the market for cold water use now.
- Buy your produce locally when possible and not the stuff that has to be drove in or flown in from other areas.
- When you do shop, take reusable shopping bags or bring your own paper or plastic bags.
See how easy this can be? A family of 4 uses over 500 plastic bags every year and in America, we use over 100 billion. Less than one percent of those bags are recycled so they end up in various landfills and in the oceans. There they are endangering the lives of nature and wildlife.
So even if you do just a couple of the things we’ve listed here, you’ll be making an effort to Go Green to help Earth and our environment.